Tuesday, November 23, 2010

thanksgiving

In honor of Thanksgiving week, I'm doing one last "thankful" post.  I must admit, writing only positive things has been quite a challenge for me.  So here's my final list of things for which I am grateful.
  • Running.  I love running, but it's one of the things I had to give up while trying to get pregnant.  In our little break from TTCing during the run up to IVF, I am so enjoying getting on the road.  It's great to feel like I have some control over my body again!
  • Seasons.  I am blessed to live in a part of the country that actually experiences four seasons.  We are currently at the point where fall meets winter, and it's exciting to feel the air getting crisp.  It reminds me that Christmas is right around the corner.
  • Paper mail.  I have a few friends who, like me, still believe in writing and mailing actual cards.  Receiving a handwritten note is a unique blessing, and I am thankful for the friends who have written me over the last few months.
  • My precious dogs.  I've posted about them before, but I just couldn't leave them off this list.  They are my little angels, and they manage to make me smile every single day, no matter what else is going on in my life.  When I am grumpy, they just love on me more, which is fabulous.
  • Our house.  We live in an adorable little 1940-built cottage, and it's the perfect first home.  It's located in the most expensive neighborhood in our town, so I'm not sure how much longer we will be here, but I am so thankful for the time we have spent here and the warmth it has provided.
  • This blogging community.  I am so thankful that I discovered this group of women who understand the place I am in right now.  I am now seriously addicted to following blogs and am thankful for this outlet.
  • My in-laws.  I hear so many in-law horror stories and am repeatedly reminded of how lucky I am.  My in-laws are very supportive, yet give us our distance, and I could not have joined a better family.
  • Finally, this year I am thankful for the three little ones we have lost.  Don't get me wrong, I am NOT THANKFUL that we lost them...in fact, I am still very angry and confused as to why we will never get to hold them and love on them.  Their short presence in my life, however, changed me forever and connected A and I in a deeply new way.  I feel confident that we will be able to look back on this time at some point in the future and realize that we grew tremendously, both as individuals and as a couple.  While I would prefer a baby in my arms (or in my belly) to any growth experience, I am glad I got to be their mother, if only for a few days, and I am thankful that they touched my life.

7 comments:

  1. You are right, this blogging community is a blessing!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper mail is awesome! It's too bad that people don't do it as much anymore... I too am guilty of this so I take your post as a nice reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post. Your ability to take such perspective is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always I am uplifted by your posts on thankfulness. Please know that you are not only helping yourself by spending time and energy on thinking of the positives in your life, but others also. It was a great idea, with great impact x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. I'm so proud of you for looking for the positive things in your life. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is beautiful and it brought tears to my eyes.

    I am thankful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your post (and found you via another blogger). I love running too and paper mail - it was nice to see that high up on your list. I hope you can get back to running soon. I know I always feel more like 'me' when I can run!

    ReplyDelete