Friday, November 19, 2010

thankful part 2...plus a little reality

Today, I am thankful for the entertainment industry.  This may sound trivial, but aren't there moments when we all just want to get lost in fiction?  For our early Christmas present/let's forget about the miscarriage for a bit outing, A got us tickets to an Elton John concert tonight!  Elton has always been on my list of concerts I want to see before I or the performer dies, and we have floor seats on the 18th row...way to go A!  In additional exciting entertainment news, the newest Harry Potter is on the agenda this weekend.  The Boy Who Lived always cheers me up (despite the probable darkness of this film), and I am thankful that JK Rowling was brilliant enough to create such a wonder-filled world.

Outside the world of fiction, we got the news we expected at our appointment yesterday.  Because the first pregnancy was ectopic, our doc is fairly convinced that the subsequent failed pregnancies have also been ectopics that resolved themselves.  Since we seem to have good eggs and good sperm based on the number of times we've conceived, he thinks the problem is my tubes.  The only way to take the tubes out of the equation is, of course, IVF, which is his recommendation. 

We are currently on the calendar for the January IVF cycle, but I am still trying to process this all.  Ignorantly, I never thought we would end up here.  The practical side of this is overwhelming right now...should we get a second opinion (while I'm sure it's a good ideal, I also hate the thought of finding and talking to yet another doc)?  Where are we going to get the money?  What if it doesn't work? 

Our biggest reservation has always been the thought of leftover frozen embryos, so we discussed with our doc the ideal of only exposing 8 eggs to fertilization and I am feeling much better about that.  There is still so much to consider, though.  I don't want to rush into this, but I am so ready to make a decision and go with it.  I am THANKFUL, however, that I don't have to make any of these decisions alone. 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts about the ectopics. Have you had immunology testing, and a full miscarriage panel? Before you move to IVF, I would insist on lots of testing - if they're not sure about the pregnancies being ectopic, it may be helpful to rule a bunch of other stuff out first. And even if they were sure about the ectopics, before you spend the time, effort and money on IVF, make sure you get lots of testing. It may help to talk to another doc, but if you trust this guy, I don't know.

    I'm so glad you are having some distractions this weekend - I hope you have a wonderful time at the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Harry Potter. The seventh book is one of the best books I've ever read, and I have a degree in English and have read approximately three million books in my life.

    I agree with Alex that you should get lots of testing before proceeding to IVF, but ultimately I encourage you to try it. I'm sure it's a really scary step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Harry Potter too, nothing like curling up on the couch in your pj's and watching HP movies all day long!

    Good luck on the decisions with the IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you have some things to distract you this weekend.

    I think you should definitely get a second opinion and all the testing that Alex discussed. I am sorry but I can't understand your doctor's reasoning. I think what he is suggesting is highly unlikely. I would certainly get a second opinion and a full RPL workup before considering IVF.

    ReplyDelete