Wednesday, November 17, 2010

thankful

As hard as it is to believe, Thanksgiving is upon us.  In just one week, we will be eating Turkey and checking out the Christmas sales.  The holiday season has always been my favorite time of year, but recently every special occasion has been bittersweet...each one is a reminder that I thought I would be pregnant by now.  In an effort to get into the holiday spirit and remind myself of how blessed I truly am, I am going to post a few blogs over the next week about things things for which I am thankful (with some not so cheery posts potentially thrown into the mix).  It is difficult to focus on the "happy" in life when we feel so bogged down by the "sad," but trying to change my focus reminds me of how much more difficult my life could be.

Today I am very, very thankful...A found out this afternoon that he passed his comps and will be graduating with his masters degree in three weeks!  Our family needed a victory, and the giddy feeling of knowing that A is finished with his program was a welcome break from bad news.  I am so proud of him--his diligence and persistence are now paying off!

I am also thankful for flowers.  I find a fresh bouquet to be so soothing and heartwarming, and this week I have been inundated with blooms!  A brought me a beautiful bouquet on Monday, and my sister (yes, the usually evil one) sent a lovely arrangement on Tuesday.  Then today at work, I was called to reception to find a gorgeous bouquet...amazingly, they were from two out-of-town friends who had heard about our third loss from a mutual friend...so thoughtful!  I am thankful for the flowers I have received this week for two reasons.  First, they are gorgeous and make my house/office smell fabulous.  But second, and more importantly, they are a tangible recognition of the losses we have suffered.  I can see/touch/smell that someone is thinking of us and knows that we are grieving. 

6 comments:

  1. sending warmth and support.
    here from lost and found

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I needed this reminder to look around and be thankful, it is so hard to do that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! I love the holidays but, like you, this year they are a reminder of what should have happened by now. I look forward to reading your upcoming posts to help me re-focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. flowers are terrific! Happy for you that you can find thankfulness at this time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so porud of you for finding reasons to be thankful. Congratulations to A - this is wonderful! And I love that you received flowers - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youre really brave. Hope your docs appointment went ok.

    ReplyDelete