Thursday, February 10, 2011

headlines

Today CNN ran an article titled "Pick a Baby's Birthday: 11-11-11" about how people had actually called doctors asking when to have sex to have a baby on 11-11-11.  Yea, because that's how it works.  Have sex on one magical day and you are guaranteed to birth a baby a certain number of weeks later.  The headline alone was offensive...these types of articles are definitely part of the reason we are all so surprised when we have trouble bringing our little bundles of joy home.  It infuriates me that our society just assumes everyone is fertile.  Last night, for instance, I was at book club and someone commented that they were surprised a certain couple didn't have kids yet.  I quickly added a "you never know their situation" to the chat, the token RPL girl reminding everyone that it's not always so easy. 


In pregnancy news, I have my next ultrasound on Monday (6 weeks 5 days) and am praying to see two heartbeats.  I've been constantly queasy, and my boobs look like aliens, so I'm taking these as good signs. 

7 comments:

  1. Sick people. Really? Never mind that you don't get pregnant every time you have sex. Even a fertile person has to actually be ovulating on that specific day and! Not to mention babies tend to have their own ideas of when they want to arrive.

    Good luck on the U/S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAH!! How annoying! As if an egg will just always be there hanging around. :-/

    I hope you get a great view of those heartbeats Monday. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated seeing that article too. BOO. Then they had the "myths and facts of conception" that ran along with it. also BOO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true...it sets people up for such disappointment in life when IF hits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frickin' fertile whores.

    Fingers crossed for 2 heartbeats on Valentine's Day for you! I'm glad you're sick because I'm sick too. While I don't wish queasiness on people (except fertile whores) I hope its all a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for you to see your two heartbeats!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you all the juju for strong and positive milestones ahead.

    Articles of those kind make me laugh at the dainty ignorance some people can spend their whole life on.

    And thank you for the kind words you left me on my blog.

    ReplyDelete